Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Friday, October 21, 2011

René of the Day // 10.7.11 // Autumn Soup

Continuing my challenge for making food fit for the forecast - a new soup every week in the fall/winter - I had to cook the recipe I tasted during the Iron Chef: Pumpkin Challenge at work. When I requested the recipe it didn't come with a name so I've appropriately named it "autumn soup." I'm loving the opportunity to use my big red Le Creuset stock pot so much and if you don't mind having leftovers (it's always better the next day) or eating the same thing for an entire week, it's a very convenient, healthy and cost effective way to plan dinners. And for me, it's therapeutic. The chopping relieves stress, the creation is exciting and the enjoyment of the end product is rewarding.

I had quite a bit of this soup to share so I bought cute little plastic stemmed cups at The Party Source and brought some of the batch to our Junior League Provisional small group get together and it received rave reviews - it's definitely a new fall favorite for my recipe arsenal. 

Ingredients:
5 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 medium apples, thinly sliced
1 large white potato, diced
1.5 cups chopped, peeled butternut squash, fresh or frozen
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup apple cider
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto or bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
Chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
Crusty bread, for serving (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:
Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium-low heat and add the onions, apples, potato and squash. Season with salt and pepper and cook until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in sage and flour. Add cider (pour yourself a cup and add rum, ha) and cook over high heat, stirring until thickened. Add broth and milk, cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring until potato is soft, 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto or bacon and cook until crisp, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Add cheese to soup and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Puree in blender in batches until smooth (carefully - VERY hot off of stove and can easily blow the lid off). Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with prosciutto or bacon, more cheese and chives, if using. Serve with bread, if desired. 

Notes: 

Purchase pre-chopped butternut squash if possible. I've seen it in the produce section before and thought it was a lazy option - until I tried to cut one up. I literally bruised myself. I threw it in the oven to soften and even then, it was a beast to get through. Kroger didn't have any in the frozen aisle, but it's worth searching around to save the time and pain. 

Add a teaspoon or two of curry powder. It gives great color and an additional flavor profile.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment