Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Friday, October 21, 2011

René of the Day // 9.30.11 // Loveland "Mega" Reunion

Seven years after graduating from Loveland High School, I returned for the first time to a varsity football game on Friday night. The last time I was there, I was wearing a cheerleading uniform and flipping up and down the track. I didn't take on the request for alumni cheerleaders as the girls weren't all up for it and I was quite pleased with my decision when we had to leave by halftime because it was so cold and windy.

It was great to see Sidné, who's now living with her husband in Dayton and finishing law school, and Whitney who's a Ben-gal and did cheer during the game, and also T and Ashley and their husbands and baby boys who I do see regularly. I remember the games being so packed that you could hardly walk through the crowd and I expected the same but surprisingly, it wasn't horribly crowded. I was also surprised to see they no longer have a dance team but a pom squad, who wear knee-high socks with black stars on them and cheer half the game with the cheerleaders - I suppose I didn't grasp the point of that. Of course high schools don't serve beer at football games (just like the SEC) so we grabbed a 20 oz and airplane bottles to get through it more comfortably.

I wish more people had been there but, I'd only found out about the event two weeks prior. There was also a dinner at the Oasis on Saturday night but the people I talked to didn't find it to be worth $45/person. The person I contacted said they had trouble finding people from our class who were interested which is frustrating - we're all so easy to reach via Facebook and LinkedIn, I wish they'd asked more than just student council grads to get involved. Perhaps our 10 year reunion will be a great event, since we didn't have a fifth. And to be frank, I still stay in touch with so many people I don't think it will be a Romey and Michelle style event.

It was neat to go back to my alma mater and see what has and hasn't changed - just that week the Cincinnati news stations had announced that the school district had banned yoga pants. Times have changed. Our big battle was spaghetti straps - tank top had to be "two fingers wide" and skirts and shorts had to come to the bottom of your fists with your arms at your sides. Maybe next year I'll make it back for Homecoming - Go Tigers!

No comments:

Post a Comment