Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

René of the Day // 5.17.11 // Burgess Falls

I’ve contemplated doing this for months… a quick daily post to share a thought, link, photo, recipe or any part of my day or life that feels fun, unique or worthy of sharing. Last night I had dinner with three friends I’ve known since grade school and I mentioned the idea for my “René of the Day” posts and they encouraged me to go for it - thanks gals! I’ll do my best to post a tidbit every day. And so it begins…

My first “RoD” is a photo of Burgess Falls in middle Tennessee. I hiked there this weekend with my boyfriend Matt (to be referred to from here out as MR, his initials) . It was a fairly challenging hike on a cool, misty Sunday morning. 

I’m sharing this because, besides showcasing it’s natural beauty, Matt and I were intrigued by the the anti-climactic end to the falls. You hike for 3 miles past a strong, rushing river and three large falls (the largest, last pictured here), swollen from the recent rain and floods, but the pool at the bottom just billows and swirls and ends… it didn’t continue into the river beyond. 

This made me mindful of something I despise but seems to happen often: hurrying up to wait. I always have to be early, I rush to make something happen or look forward to something and then when it’s time, expectations aren’t met or appreciation is lost in impatience. It’s a one-off thought, but it reminded me to appreciate the moment - the fall - and not worry about where the water is running to next.

NOTE: I have switched from Tumblr back to Blogger. Although Tumblr has dynamite themes, it doesn't easily allow for sharing or comments and it was being a punk about loading photos. Blogger performs these tricks without trouble. We're back!

No comments:

Post a Comment