Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Wednesday, May 25, 2011

René of the Day // 5.25.11 // René's Book Club

I've been a bookworm since I was a babe. My grandmother started teaching me to read when I was 4 with "Stuart Little" and I was more excited about visiting the library than the ice cream shop. And my passion has gone in waves... it inspired my love of writing and I whizzed through books in grade school. Loathed them during AP courses in high school and text books were the majority of my college reading, of course.

I read over 30 books my first year out of college. Two years ago "Santa" brought a Kindle and I've become addicted. Although at the moment my nightstand is stacked with "The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama, the Bible, "True Prep," "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," "The Art of Client Service," "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," and "Wine and War," I recently have spent the last half hour of my evenings lying in bed reading "The Social Climber's Handbook" - not quite a trashy love novel but a theme I love losing myself in - rich NYC wives. This weaves the story of wealthy women whose husbands are running the prop desk during the market mayhem in 2008. I've cut out an excerpt - so fun how Kindle let's you steal little snacks to remember, since you cannot dog-ear a page or highlight, underline and annotate the pages:


How telling is that? I can certainly relate.

Friends, if you'd ever like to do a mini book club style session, let me know! I'd be all over it. I'm no Oprah (bless, today was her last show!) but reading and talking are among my favorite things, as you likely know. I'd love to share them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment