Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

René of the Day // 5.24.11 // Bye Bye, Beluga

Oh how I will miss this restaurant/club/martini mecca/sushi shrine. Say what you will about the overtly trendy decor, the overpriced cocktails and the music that bumped so loud it would likely spill that pricey punchy drink. But, Toon is an impeccably creative chef and all pretentiousness aside, Beluga always offered an evening unmatched in Cincinnati.

I will forever be grateful to Cindy, who for two years ensured that I was always fed and my financial and academic obligations were always met. She taught me to work smarter and harder (she reminded me tonight how high octane I was -am- and how much I learned and grew) and great tidbits about countless things, and honestly, my time there definitely influenced my passion for food. Hostessing in college at this oft-acclaimed and equally criticized restaurant was perhaps one of the most demanding but fun jobs I have ever had. The parties were absolutely fabulous and it was a wonderful place for networking and learning the value and importance of gracious customer service.

I am happy to see Charlie return to the space and to still have the opportunity to walk around the corner for delicious sushi (half price at that)! Although he created some of the original and amazing maki on Beluga's sushi list, you honestly cannot beat Beluga's fresh sushi. I will miss treating myself but will also enjoy indulging in the new Dancing Wasabi 2 space where it may just be a little softer on the pocket.

Best of luck to Cindy, Mike & Toon and their next adventures. Thank you for everything!

Enjoying sushi with the British bestie, Summer 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment