Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Saturday, May 28, 2011

René of the Day // 5.27.11 // The BEST Pad Thai Recipe

It is my FAVORITE. Okay, one of my favs. Usually when I go to dinner, I always try something new and rarely get the same thing twice. But, when I go to Thai restaurants, I have trouble straying from this simple and wonderful classic dish. The lime makes it tart, the peanuts make it salty and the bean sprouts lend to get crunch - I can't get enough - and it has to be spicy! (Pour on the Sriracha.)

When my parents go on vacation and I housesit, I take over their great kitchen and I combined a few different recipes I'd found for Pad Thai and created my own. I've been asked for the recipe numerous times so I'm sharing it with y'all. Enjoy!


René’s Pad Thai

INGREDIENTS:
1 pkg. bean sprouts
1 box (6 oz.) pad Thai rice noodles
1 pkg. firm tofu (or chicken, shrimp or calamari)*
3 eggs
2 large carrots
1 bunch green onions (scallions)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup chopped peanuts or cashews
3 tbsp. peanut oil
2 limes, 1 sliced into wedges & 1 for juice
1 bunch fresh cilantro
Salt

Sauce:
½ cup lime juice
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup fish sauce**
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. ground ginger

Note:  need numerous small bowls to separate ingredients until you incorporate them in the wok.

  1. Prepare fresh ingredients: grate the 2 carrots; use scissors to snip scallions into 1-inch pieces; put peanuts in baggie & crush with rolling pin. Chop tofu into small cubes. Set aside in bowls.  

  1. Stir together lime juice, ketchup, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, peanut butter & ground ginger in a separate bowl; set aside. Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Also set aside.

  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch the bean sprouts in boiling water for 30 seconds, remove, and drain well. Set aside. Refill pot with water and add noodles when water returns to a boil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until tender but firm; drain & rinse noodles under cold water. Set aside.

  1. Heat oil in the wok (or large frying pan) over medium-high heat. Fry garlic for a few seconds. Add carrots & pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute, then remove. Add tofu and fry for 5 minutes. Remove. Add beaten egg, gently scramble. When eggs have set, pour in carrots, sauce, bean sprouts, noodles, green onions & ½ the peanuts. Toss together & heat through.
    (*If using chicken, shrimp or calamari, cook separately & add at same step as tofu to warm & fry in the oil & pepper).

  1. Serve on a large plate and garnish with fresh cilantro, lime wedges & remaining peanuts. Squirt on some bright red sriracha sauce (or Rooster sauce - very hot Thai chili sauce.)
    Best with sake, pinot noir or a sweet white like Moscato.
            **May add extra ¼ cup soy sauce to substitute fish sauce





No comments:

Post a Comment