Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Monday, May 30, 2011

René of the Day // 5.30.11 // In Memoriam

On Memorial Day, I'd like to pay tribute to my deceased family members who served our fine country.

Roland Edward Brunelle, grandfather
Served in the Navy in WWII; he was shot in an aircraft carrier, the USS Randolf, in Okinawa, Japan yet he returned home safely to our family.

David Roland Brunelle, uncle
Served in the army in Greece in the early 70s; he returned home safely but died in a motorcycle accident after he returned home.

Clifford Ronald Lotz, grandfather
Served in the Korean War in Washington, DC, Hawaii and San Francisco from 1950-1954.
[Pictured below on the black sand beaches in Hawaii.]
















Thank you to all of the men and women who have and who currently do provide service to the United States of America.

Did you know... Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May. Formerly known as Decoration Day, which was first recorded to have been observed by Freedmen (freed enslaved southern blacks) in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865, at the Washington Race Course, to remember the fallen Union soldiers of the Civil War. Today, what is now known as Memorial Day, is a day of reflection and recognition of ordinary people who sometimes visit cemeteries and graves to honor their deceased relatives while also commemorating all U.S. Service Members who died while in military service.

No comments:

Post a Comment