Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Monday, May 23, 2011

René of the Day // 5.23.11 // Bathroom Makeover

It's hard to believe I've lived in "The Studio" for almost 5 years (in August)! It's well-known that I truly adore this space, even if it's small and lacks closet space... The beautiful hardwood floors, the charming built-in desk and the location a block away from Hyde Park Square is unbeatable. I plan to live here until I either buy and move into a house or move out of Cincinnati - neither of which will be happening for at least a year. Thus, it needs a little bit of a facelift. I still love the tan Ralph Lauren walls in the main living space. So I've decided to revamp the restroom.

I painted the walls a deep red about three years ago to match the fashion-inspired LIFE magazine cover shower curtain - I needed a creative outlet and a friend had leftover paint. But I'm short and was impatient so there are strips of white wall left above the shower - it looks janky. And although it was all quite cute at some point, I've grown of out the French fashion artwork and dark walls. It needs to be lightened up!

MR said he'd be happy to help so I've started pulling ideas together. I'm liking the idea of light gray walls - this may not have to be painted over when I move so it's deposit-return safe, which the red is not! I've found a few light, airy shower curtains and would like two simple pieces of work for the walls, above the toilet and across the wall from it above the towel rack.

I put together this "mood board" with some of the paint colors (left blocks), shower curtains (right blocks) and art (bottom blocks) that have caught my eye as I've been browsing. Feel free to leave a comment and note your favorites! I'm going to ponder them for a few weeks then hopefully make it happen... MR, get your paint brush ready buddy ;)



1 comment:

  1. Interesting how our lives have a unique parallel – I moved into my condo in Naperville five years ago August as well. I was thinking of changing my guest bathroom a few weeks back and got frustrated at the choices (okay I was kinda in a hurry and thought it would be easy peasy). So I did the practical thing and bought new ivory linens/towels to freshen things up at Bed Bath and Beyond , which leads me back to a fond Octoberfest weekend memory of Beluga, Arthur’s, wine, martinis and somebody that wanted to do shots (umm…not me). Our stroll home was more of a stagger and I remember a loud crash in the bathroom…I thought you had passed out…that Monday when I returned to Chicago I had to run to Bed, Bath and Beyond on my lunch hour to find a duplicate French fashion shower curtain and hanger thingies to cover our “crime”… I was relieved to have succeeded…but I digress….
    You know which one of the above curtains is my personal favorite. If you do not choose the paisley then I MUST have it- where did you find it? I like all the other choices but am most fond of the little trees and the book page with the flower (that is so you). I like the nautical gray wall color, the hint of blue gives more choices for décor…

    ReplyDelete