Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Monday, August 22, 2011

René of the Day // 8.11.11 // This American Life

Best. Podcast. Ever. Okay - unfair. I don't listen to enough podcasts to be the judge of that, but this is the best background, thought-provoking show I listen to on the regular. Download the iPhone app and just listen to it before bed... or it's really enlightening on long walks. (Perfect for Fin's & my fav 2 mile nature trail.) Produced by NPR in Chicago, Ira Glass always makes me laugh and the show presents stories from different peoples perspectives - it's brought ideas to my attention that I've never considered. Topics range from thugs, true urban legends, America's top party schools to a segment on the history and controversy of the original recipe for Coca-Cola Classic. Whenever I'm bored - which is a rarity - I know where to turn.

The app logs all of the shows back to 1995 and it frustrates me that I can't plow through them fast enough... I would suggest scrolling through the topics and picking and choosing what to listen to that way until you get the feel for the tone and set up of the show. It's a treasure chest of gem-like stories all about, well, This American Life.

Check it out on Facebook or Twitter. Or listen on the radio on Cincinnati's NPR station, WVXU 91.7 on Saturdays at 1:00pm and Sundays at 4:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment