Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

René of the Day // 8.15.11 // Summer Salad


After a week of gorging and drinking myself 5 pounds heavier in England and a significant decrease in the daily temperature in Cincinnati, I've prepared myself to embrace the late summer loveliness and get "back on track." Yesterday after a 2 mile trail walk with Findlay, I started thinking about how much I miss cooking. Searching for recipes, scanning my pantry ingredients, writing my shopping list and making an adventure for the meal. I love to grocery shop - granted, I go alone, I take my time, I explore new foods and can make all the decisions based on my palate - a small luxury of a young unmarried woman without roommates.

I decided to bring some fresh produce back into this house. After traveling, having MR in town and late nights at the office, I haven't done this in over a month! One of my favorite places to find recipes is Epicurious.com - plus they have a great iPhone app to access when you don't have time to jot down a grocery list. I looked over recipes I'd added to my list to make and found this wonderful summer salad - watermelon, feta & arugula salad with balsamic glaze.

Watermelon is so cheap this time of year! I paid less than $1.50 for half a melon. And I usually modify most recipes I make - so for a little protein and additional sustenance, I grabbed the grilled and diced Tyson chicken packets - I know my mom would scold me for wasting money on these, since boneless skinless breasts are much more cost effective but I couldn't beat the convenience this week, with plans on my calendar every evening. A package of arugula, a package of feta and I was set - I keep whole black pepper to grind, sea salt and balsamic on hand in my pantry.

So simple - chopped everything, threw it in a big red bowl and stirred - absolutely delicious! Crunchy, tangy, sweet, salty, bright... a lovely combination of fresh flavors, beautiful colors and great textures. And as with most foods made with balsamic, I think it will be even better tomorrow after a night marinating in the fridge. And the best part - it includes servings of fruit, veggies, protein & dairy. This has easily become a fast favorite - it would be perfect for a party or BBQ.

View the original recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment