Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Monday, August 15, 2011

René of the Day // 8.2.11 // Southport

The day after my British best friend's wedding, we had a full English breakfast at Ferrari's Country House then got a late start and ventured to a little town on the Irish Sea on the northwest coast of England called Southport to return her cake stand to an adorable little bakery. This was actually where her parents met so it was fun to see their old stomping grounds. We walked past loads of shops and so many people had dogs - I can't believe how many Westies! - and enjoyed the nice breeze. 

We popped by a "chippy" - classic fish & chips shop - for a snack. I had chips (thick-cut fries) with curry dipping sauce and they were deliciously plump and greasy and the sweet spicy kick of the curry was good enough to lick from the little styrofoam bowl! A few of us got fish and it's not a filet like you'd see on a whimpy sandwich at McDonald's - three times the size of the fish from a Catholic fish fry - you can tell that it was a proper swimming fish, simply battered and fried. "Chippys" can be found every few blocks all over England and are the perfect drunk or comfort food for Brits - perfect with HP sauce or "mushy peas." Less than an hour later we stopped for ice cream at a little shop that had "bits" of goodies on top of each flavor - pistachios on the pistachio, cookies on the cookies 'n cream, strawberries on the strawberry - lovely! And of course ice cream in England is always served with a Flake! A flaky little stick of chocolate - a nice, tasty little touch. And we walked past a salon that had fish pedicures - and we decided we must have one before the week ended! (More to come on that...)

After our jaunt around the town, we drove home and finally took a nap! Bless. How nice... That night it was just "the families" - we had take and bake pizza - goat's cheese, sweet corn and tomato (Andi's fav) and ham, spicy beef, mushrooms & garlic sauce (Alan's fav) and had quite the discussion about religion and life... then we called a cab and sent the parents home - haha!
Southport. Left to right: Mr. Bailey, Mrs. Bailey, Vicki, Jenna, Rick, me, Stevie 

No comments:

Post a Comment