Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Thursday, August 11, 2011

René of the Day // 8.1.11 // My British Best Friend's Wedding

What a perfect day it was! For years, Andi & I have joked that it seemed like I wouldn't make it back to England until her wedding day - unfortunately, we were right. But I am so very happy I was there.

We woke up after a very restless night - just too much excitement for the bride-to-be! The room was filled with nervous whiz-pops (do you know what that means? ha) and I performed downward facing dog, which she referred to as "laughing dog" - to stretch and wake up but she refused to do yoga in the bed. And we chanted so her Mum would hear down the hall, "We want breakfast! We want breakfast!" We're crazy, aren't we? No, we're just fun :) She threw the duvet off of her and yelled, "Ugh, this thing is like a SHEEP!" LOL They just use a comforter, no sheets, so it's always either HOT or cold in bed. 

After making our way down to the lounge (living room) we relaxed and had crumpets with tea and milk. It was such a slow, easy start to the day. I was amazed at how easy-going it was... I told them about "Bridezillas" in America and joked that she was Bridenilla because she was so laid back. It made the day very enjoyable. The girls came to do nails, hair and makeup and we continued to chat and stayed quite calm. The flowers arrived and they were stunning - we all had white orchids pinned into our hair. The photographer arrived and he was fantastic - went to work taking the stickers off our shoes to take photos and helped himself to photographing her gorgeous dress hanging in her parents beautiful bedroom. It was absolutely incredible to see Andi all dolled up - her signature outfit is trainers (gym shoes), jeans and a jumper (sweater or hoodie). She was so beautiful and the dress was stunning - Pronovias, one of my favorite bridal designers, perfect on her tiny Barbie-sized waist, and it had 50 or so silk buttons up the back that Vicki and I worked our way through... 

We took photos outside in the garden (yard) - Dave, her dad, is an outstanding gardener - their landscape looks like it could be featured in British Better Homes and Gardens. Then the cars arrived - two classy cloth-convertible Rolls Royce carriage cars. Andrea and her dad lead the way and we followed with her mum, Vicki, my mom and Kiki to Ferrari's Country House. It was such a scenic drive - like something from a storybook. Once we arrived, we stopped and put the tops down on the cars and proceeded up the drive. Everyone was waiting and it was so cute to see Alan's 4 year old nephew James and 8 year old niece Emma run up to us. After we got out, Andrea' car made it's entrance and tears welled in my eyes. I'm usually annoyed at the term "princess" for a wedding, but the English country home, the car, the scenery, it truly was that remarkable. 

We took a few photos and were quickly swept inside as Andrea and Dave spoke with the registrant and Vicki and I practiced walking down the aisle with James and Emma, ring boy & flower girl - they're too precious and their little Liverpooldian accents melt your heart. (Later Emma was holding my hand and said "You're good with children, aren't you?" So sweet!) Within 10 minutes we were walking outside and up the stone path to the chapel! We didn't have a rehearsal. The children went first, followed by Andrea and her dad and Vicki and I trailed behind them in our pretty purple dresses and purple & white bouquets. The registrar did a very lovely job... and when Andi & Alan read their own vows, each beginning with "I promise, promise, promise..." I had to beg Dave for a tissue. It was so sweet. I did my job of straightening her train, which she said she wasn't aware of until she watched the video later in the week. Alan said he wasn't "allowed" to turn around to see her walk up but he smelled her perfume and felt her on his arm - and when he saw the dress he said "René, I saw her and I cried like a little girl!" 

We exited the little chapel that held 40 family members and a handful of friends and threw colorful confetti all over the newly weds and they were handed a little wooden black cat and a little wooden horseshoe - an English wedding tradition for good luck. Then we played around the cars and in the gardens with the photographers as they took amazing photos (see link below). We had drinks outside and chatted until it was time for dinner. I chose stuffed mushrooms, chicken and tasty apple crumble with custard. A really talented singer/acoustic guitarist played during the meal - he played "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman and I had misty eyes since MR & I love that song and I really wished he could've been there to experience the day with us. The boys did their speeches - Father of the Bride, Best Man and the Groom - Chief Bridesmaid (me - the Maid of Honor, does not give one). In the UK, they tend to keep the ceremony and meal very small and intimate then a larger crowd joins for the reception. Around 7:00 more guests arrived the live band began. 

Then more food - a common theme from this trip - a buffet was set-up outside with three spit-roasted meats - turkey, pork and beef, rolls, salads, keishes and other savories. Andi had to change because the boning in her dress kept her tiny frame from being able to consume anything lol We sat at teaks tables on the stone terrace and enjoyed the food with friends... then went inside and danced as the DJ started to play. He spun a lot of 70s dance music but we got him to play some Bon Jovi - one of Andrea's all-time favs - and they performed their first dance to "When you wish upon a star." She opted against the bouquet & garter toss. 

Jenna kept bringing me Archer's & lemonade cocktails - like peach schnapps & Sprite (lemon-lime soda is called lemonade there). They handed out slices of wedding cake late in the night - from three different flavored heart-shaped cakes. I had sponge cake, there was also fruit cake - a tradition there, different than how Americans view it as a Christmas cake. I found it interesting that they freeze the top part and eat it at the Christening of their first child, rather than their first anniversary as we do in the States. We all danced and had a great time and per their traditions, we ended the night in a big circle kicking can-can style to Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York." It truly was a perfect, special day. Everyone had a great time and it was totally seamless. After the reception with had the night guard open the small bar in the hotel and we all chatted with their best friends on the leather couches - it felt very much like the formal living room at the old Pike fraternity house. I shared a room with Kiki and woke up for a full English breakfast the next morning. I'm not sure than anyone could have planned a better wedding day. So very happy for Andi and Alan and "honoured" to have been their Chief Bridesmaid.

To view the photos of the wedding day, visit Gareth Doe Photography, password: Bailey or view my Mom's photos on Facebook here.

My favorite photo that my mom took that day.



No comments:

Post a Comment