Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Thursday, August 18, 2011

René of the Day // 8.6.11 // Fish Pedicure

I'd heard of fish pedicures somewhere, months ago - most likely on Twitter. When we were in Southport we saw one in a spa window and decided we had to try it! I knew I'd never seen it in the States... and now I know why. It's been banned! Evidently they don't find it to be hygienic. So of course I had to get an illegal spa treatment, right? When in Rome...

We went to a little place in Bolton called Funky Fresh. They have a special until the end of August for $5 for 30 minutes so I treated Pinzi (who came all the way from Scotland to spend the day with us & go shopping at Trafford Centre), Andi and myself - Vicki hates feet and was not interested in partaking so she was our fabulous fish foot photographer ;)

The gal examined our feet then we stepped into a tub of fresh water then settled on the cushions above the tanks and let our feet rest on top of the water for a moment. Once we were ready, we submerged them into the lukewarm water and fish began to feast! At first it really freaked me out - such an odd feeling, almost like pins & needles when your foot falls asleep. I was grilling the girl with questions and she was very knowledgable and friendly - she opened the salon with her mom and friend around 8 months ago - we actually found it because we Googled for fish pedicure spas and found their previous Groupon, which did really well.

The fish don't have teeth - they nibble the dead skin which exfoliates, and it goes out through their gills - they don't actually consume it. The tanks have around 150 garra ruffa fish and they constantly filter the water and change 20% of it a day so every week it is completely refreshed. Each night they're given a few blood meal pills for sustenance. After a while you get used to the feeling but we got squirmy when they've dart between our toes. If you stick your legs in a bit further they'll work on those too! It was so hilarious to watch our faces and hear the girls shriek - Andi had a group of bigger fish so I think it was a bit more intense. Afterwards, you rub lotion on them and you're done - no polish or nail maintenance, just fish exfoliation.

Andi is planning to take her Mum and Alan so I'm looking forward to hearing their thoughts. I'm so glad we found this clean, cute little place - I would highly recommend trying it if you find yourself in a place that allows it. It's become a huge trend in Europe. She said like many beauty regimens, the more you go, the better results you'll see.


My view...
Can you believe that little guys gapper?!


No comments:

Post a Comment