Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Monday, August 22, 2011

René of the Day // 8.13.11 // Goin' to the zoo, zoo, zoo!

Continuing in my quest to make the most of summer hours, and taking advantage of MR having a Friday off of work, we spent Friday afternoon at the Cincinnati Zoo! I hadn't been since last summer when my sister took my mom and I to Wild About Wine for our birthdays. I don't think he'd been there since grade school and we doubted there'd be many more opportunities to go without a stroller and we had a great time!

Although the weather was much nicer than it has been lately - it was under 90 and there was a breeze - most of the animals were sleeping - lazy bones. MR's favorite was the white tiger - he had memories of when they used to bring them to the Bengals game in a cage when we were kids. I loved a little baby monkey who kept running up to the glass and entertaining us - so cute! He was trying to interact with a little toddler boy and his stuffed monkey - really neat to watch. Unfortunately we didn't get to see the giraffes, who our friends got to feed when they went on Sunday! - or Gorilla World but it was a really cool way to spend our afternoon together - something we rarely get to experience. He got stuck on a few work calls - typical - so I teased him because he was still pointing out animals to me that I couldn't spot, he was like Crocodile Dundee - and I made a game of our visit - 10 points if you spot an animal sleeping, 50 points if they're doing it, etc. LOL My favorite - the polar bear - was asleep, facing the other way - big ole lug.

After the zoo we went to A Tavola in OTR - a fairly new pizza place with a massive brick oven that was imported from Naples. Loved the bacon and goat cheese bruschetta although I'd expect more than 2 pieces for $8. The fig spread, proscuitto, fontina and arugula pizza was delicious. We'll definitely go back to try the bacon and banana peppers - MR drooled when he saw that one, I'm sure. After dinner we relaxed on our buddys deck and enjoyed his craft beer kegerator... I let the boys chat late and I snuck inside to nap on the couch until we went home. It was nice to have that extra half day together - that must be what it's like to be a "normal" couple ;)
Our baby monkey buddy!
Straight chillin'
MR's favorite

Endangered white lions

No comments:

Post a Comment