Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Thursday, August 18, 2011

René of the Day // 8.7.11 // Full English Breakfast

When you first hear the term "full English breakfast" it eludes to thoughts of a special occasion - like Easter brunch or Christmas morning. But in England, this proper feast is served quite regularly. Every little restaurant offers these delicacies every day until 4pm and they're cooked at home seemingly at least once a week.

What is served? Bangers (sausage), eggs, bacon (theirs is more like our ham), baked beans, a grilled tomato, a grilled mushroom, toast, potato triangles and HP sauce (almost like a cross between BBQ & A1). It's a gorgeous, salty, delicious spread that will allow you to skip lunch (dinner as they say). I was lucky enough to enjoy this home-cooked meal twice during my 10-day stay - once by Mum and once by Andi.

It's funny, I think I only saw the entire line up once - sometimes places would exclude one of the grilled veggies or potato triangles. But I am determined to cook a full English breakfast soon and see how closely I can replicate it... My mom says you can now find bacon similar to theirs here - everything else is on tap at our local grocery stores. One thing I may add is crumpets - with tea and milk. Crumpets, which sound so absolutely lovely and British, are like our English muffins only thicker and doughier. Almost like a bagel texture inside with the nooks and crannies creating little caverns all the way to the bottom so the butter oozes down and fills it with sweet and salty cream - divine! I brought a 6-pack back in my suitcase.

America doesn't seem to have a standard meal like this - we do pancakes, eggs, waffles, omelets - all of which I enjoy. But it's so interesting how the full English breakfast is a staple in their culture.



No comments:

Post a Comment