Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Wednesday, December 7, 2011

René of the Day // 10.19.11 // STRONG Challenge

Now I'm stronger than yesterday... Now it's nothin' but my way....

Kidding. I'm sure that is not what Crossroads had in mind for this year's journey. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend the services but if you'd like to learn more, click here to watch or listen (the website with all of the cool cards I'll tell you about is no longer up.)

The experience encouraged members in Community to meet with a group of others to discuss their faith, growth, lives and ideas over a course of 6-weeks. (I truly enjoyed the Freedom journey in early 2010 which had the same premise.) I met with one of my best friends from college, Becca, two good girlfriends from high school, Beth and Elizabeth and a new friend that Beth invited to join us, Holly. It was a wonderful group of women - all strong, smart and on different paths which made it really interesting to share each other's perspectives. Two teachers, two mommies of two, two single career women, one who just bought a home on her own and one who's preparing for her wedding next fall.

Each week we were tasked with 5 "cards" that were action items to challenge and build our strength. The "homework" was certainly a challenge - I struggle to find 20 minutes for myself many evenings when I get home from post-work obligations or social engagements, let alone to focus. Mind you, I do pray every evening but taking the time to think through these was a fantastic idea but I admit I wasn't always obedient with completing them each night - this is certainly one reason why I feel I didn't get as much from this journey as the last.

Each week had a theme: Play, Pray, Study, Train, Serve and Live. To provide an example, here are the five Strong Challenge I chose for the first week, Play:

1. Fill 'er up - Make a list of activities that energize and refresh you
2. Be grateful - Write down 10 things to thank God for
3. Plan a Sabbath Day
4. Share something you love
5. Rest from worry

I truly enjoyed taking on these challenges. Thinking of things you love to do really fills your heart with joy and it's always a great thing to remind ourselves what we're thankful for.

The Sabbath Day was accidental and amazing - MR surprised me and moved his Monday morning meeting so that we could have a quiet night together (something we rarely experience since our time together is always jam-packed weekends.) We had brunch with my extended family, went to the pumpkin patch with them, visited his sister and brother-in-law, had a dinner date at Dewey's, took an evening walk with the dog, he read a book for work as I watched DH and we went to bed early and got ready for work in the morning together before we drove home. I was so thankful for this day because it showed me how strong our relationship truly is and that this long distance thing is so worth it because we will have many, many days like this in our future when it all pans out.

Enough insight on my experience with the challenges. I was really disappointed that they didn't host the Prayer Experience like last time - I'm sure it was cost-related but it was an amazing opportunity with numerous rooms designed with activities for listening, praying and reflecting on the Freedom series. The Strong experience was just audio and I wasn't excited so I skipped out on it - perhaps I should've just given it a shot.

The best part of this experience was the sense of community I received from the girls in the group. They are amazing with their spirituality and I learned so much from the way the pray, think and act. I'm looking forward to re-grouping with them this spring for a bible study every other week, to continue growing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment