Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Wednesday, December 21, 2011

René of the Day // 11.4.11 // Kiehl's

I'm not a beauty junkie - a girl who collects make-up and lotions and potions and half empty pots of gunk that clutter my drawers. I like to keep it simple - one bottle of everything, discard and replace as needed. (Living in a studio apartment has really trained me to be this way.) But, I do have a few things by which I swear. Kiehl's products are among them.

The desire began from some beauty magazine when I was in high school. I don't read them anymore (every year, every month is the same issue - summer - diet, skin and nail tips! Nothing new to be said) but it was either advertised or listed in one of their must-have product pages or a celebrity claimed it to be their favorite. At any rate, I was in South Beach Miami, FL for spring break my freshman year of college and approached my first Kiehl's store experience. I bought their classic lip balm #1 and never bought a tube of Carmex or a stick of Soflips again. To this day, I have some by my bed, in my bathroom and in my handbag. It's odor-free, smooth, not oily. It lasts quite a while and does such a phenomenal job (it will transform dry skin or lips overnight), it's worth the few extra dollars.

So when I discovered they sold Kiehl's products at Saks in downtown Cincinnati, I splurged on shampoo and conditioner. Mind you, with my out-of-control curly hair, I've received recommendations for more special product lines than you can shake your straightener at. I've been disappointed by many. Kiehl's doesn't carry a curly line so I tried the formula for dry hair - Olive Oil Fruit Nourishing shampoo and conditioner. WOW!!! It makes my hair soft, easy to comb through when it's wet and beautiful when it's dry. It's moisturized and easy to work with and looks nice for days (you know I can't wash this rats nest every day, fools. Let's be real.)

I don't buy this stuff every month - it's usually a treat. I'd bought Aussie because it was cheap and smelled great and it made my hair as dry as the sand on the beaches in Sydney - not okay. So when I was at Green Hills Mall (fabulous!) in Nashville in October, I popped into the store and had to buy it to save my head - and it has. Seeing as I don't dye my hair or pay to have it cut or style (I trim the ends on my own), I can justify the expense (~$18/bottle).

If you order online, they send you wonderful samples of their other product! Give it a shot - it's natural and luxurious without being froofy. And I adore the nostalgic, clean, apothecary branding. Try something and see if you're able to resist addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment