Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Wednesday, December 21, 2011

René of the Day // 11.5.11 // What's in season?

Not talking fashion here, folks. We're talking produce. I absolutely love grocery shopping. Once you get past the people who are abusing the usage of the motorized carts and the screaming children, it is my zen. So many fun products and choices.... as someone who loves to cook, it's like a painter picking out colors for a masterpiece.

It can be argued that cooking "seasonally" makes the most wholesome, healthy and wise meals. By buying produce in season, it reduces the cost of goods purchased and many times make it easier to buy local. I won't dive deeply into those ideas, I'm sure you can find much more detailed information regarding it on other blogs. But I digress, I thought it would be helpful to share a list of items to keep on your grocery list and recipe searches for the next few months as we go through winter.


In Season Fruits and Vegetables: Winter

  • FRUITS
  • Grapefruit
  • Kiwis
  • Lemons
  • Mandarins / Clementines
  • Oranges
  • Pears
  • Tangerines
  • VEGETABLES
  • Beets
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Chicories: Belgian Endive, Curly Endive, Escarole, Raddichio
  • Fennel
  • Kale
  • Leeks
  • Parsnips
  • Radishes
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Turnips
  • Winter squash

No comments:

Post a Comment