Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Wednesday, December 14, 2011

René of the Day // 10.28.11 // 52 Weeks of Mail

I can't recall how I came across this brilliant idea but I absolutely adore it. 52 Weeks of Mail encourages people to send a letter, card or piece of mail every week for 52 weeks. Staying in touch this way helps us to become more intentional about our relationships, and as I've mentioned before, everyone loves to receive something thoughtful in the mail. (Bills, move aside.) The project initially began on October 9 but I encourage y'all to begin with your Christmas cards - that's easy enough. Maybe split the bulk into groups for a few days to get into the habit of visiting the post box and go from there. Your next week could be thank you cards for holiday parties and/or gifts you received.

I've blogged about it before but I've fallen into the nearly 52-week plan by sending MR a card after every weekend we spend together to say thank you and capture the memories as our relationship grows 300 miles apart. I also love sending notes to say thank you for dinner parties and as a little hello to friends out of state (or the country, for that matter.) It's an easy and inexpensive way to make one's day and gives your own heart a little squeeze! (squeee)

An idea from 52 Weeks is to include a brand new card and envelope with a stamp to encourage the recipient to write back. You could foster a new pen pal relationship - my late grandmother and I did this and I really treasure those letters now. It enhanced our bond in a way I hadn't realized was possible.

So good luck! Send a photo, a long love letter or make a list of birthdays to send cards for. You'll be pleased with the response to your correspondence.

Learn more about 52 Weeks of Mail here.

No comments:

Post a Comment