Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Thursday, June 16, 2011

René of the Day // 6.16.11 // Mad Men

Practically every time someone asks what I do and I say I work at an advertising agency, they get quite excited and ask, "Have you ever watched 'Mad Men'?" I don't have cable and I rarely have the patience to sit still through an entire show so my answer was always, "No, I haven't, but I've heard it's phenomenal!"

A gal who's also lived in my building for about 5 years played the above scenario with me a few weeks ago and insisted that I stop by to borrow the DVDs and dig in - and so I have. I've tried to watch an episode a night during the week... once I start a series, I do get hooked.

It's neat to see how some client situations are relative even 50 years later... and I can certainly relate to Peter Campbell, the junior account executive, at times. I love how Betty Draper always has the most lovely tone of voice and it makes me so upset to see her relationship and pillow talk with Don - and then see him canoodling elsewhere. I mean, isn't January Jones just an absolute vision???

What's perfect is that by the time I've completed the DVDs, the next season that everyone has been waiting on with agony will be on TV - so who knows, maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and get cable after all? Pouring myself a dirty martini, leaning against my tufted headboard (quite like that of the Draper's) and watching my next episode. It's getting rather juicy with the Nixon/Kennedy race.

No comments:

Post a Comment