Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Monday, June 13, 2011

René of the Day // 6.12.11 // Né Loves Ray

My love began back in 2006 when his smoky voice sang the song "How Come?" in the fashionista-fever movie, "The Devil Wears Prada." Even then, I was two years behind the album release... I Googled the lyrics and my cousin Elise bought me his CD for Christmas. His warbles became soothing for relaxing with wine in the bath or background studying music in college. I always buy CDs impulsively in line at Starbucks and bought his latest, "God Willin' and the Creek Don't Rise" and continued to fall in love with listening...


When I saw he was coming to Cincinnati, I marked the date on my calendar and hoped to find a friend who's heard of him and would like to go... My birthday was a few weeks ago and MR had a surprise gift that he knew I wanted but hadn't asked for and had a second part that I would get with time... intriguing... some of the girls thought it was a ring (I knew better!) He got me tickets! Originally the show was on a Thursday so he thought he'd come up and take me - but it changed to Sunday so the "second part" was choosing a friend to ask to come with. 


So Andrea also likes Ray! We arrived at Riverbend's PNC Pavilion (he packed the house by showtime) at 5:30 because they were holding a free craft beer tasting! Four tastes for every ticket; she just had one so I enjoyed 7 little cups of brew. Some I'd had before (Brooklyn Summer Ale, Sierra Nevada Summerfest) but I really enjoyed the last one I sampled - had a creamy taste and was really nice and refreshing... then I had a horrible headache from drinking margaritas and dark beer and eating Pit to Plate BBQ in the sun all day at Elise's graduation party before heading straight to the concert - luckily his music is so chill. What was also awesome was my friend Emily just got in from Portland and was coming so I got to see her and her brother Clint who's also my buddy and their parents who are great - was a fun surprise to catch up with them before the show. :)


The show was outstanding - I'd never heard Brandi Carlile but she was really fun... and the Secret Sisters were a little duo that are just that from Alabama and sang some old country - felt like honky tonkin' in Nashville! Ray even brought them on for 2 songs - that says something, to really highlight your openers in the main show. What a great guy. I missed that he didn't play some of my favs from his "Trouble" album but his voice is incredible - he's practically the only singer I've heard play live that sounds just like their studio recording. Pretty neat. He wails on the harmonica - just love his jagged mix of modern folk, classic country and alternative rock - totally unique. And he attracted quite the diverse crowd... Bummed that MR couldn't make it but Andie & I had a great time, so glad I was able to go. 


This is one of my fav songs and it hits home with MR right now as this year+ of long distance grinds on us the weeks between our visits... (Quite sad he didn't play this.)


"Forever My Friend"
Who am I to tell her
Who am I to play god
Who am I to think I can go it alone
Something tells me girl this is bringing you down
Something tells me this is bringing me down
We've been through some changes
Always seem to hold on
Lately it feel like you can't take anymore
Something tells me girl this is bringing you down
Something tells me girl this is bringing you down
Forever my friend
Forever my love
Forever the woman that I'm thinking of
I just think if we keep our hearts together
Just think if we build on this trust that we have for one another
Baby we can make this last a lifetime
Who am I to tell her
Who am I to play god
I don't know just what's for real anymore
Something tells me girl this is bringing you down
Something tells me girl this is bringing you down
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right
Maybe it's the last thing you want to hear me say
I just think if we keep out hearts together
I just think if we build on this trust that we have for one another
Maybe we can make this last a lifetime
Forever my friend
Forever my love
Forever the woman
That I'm thinking of
I just think if we keep our hearts together
I just think if we will build on this trust that we have for one another
Maybe we can make this last a lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment