Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Wednesday, June 22, 2011

René of the Day // 6.22.11 // Table Topics

By nature, I ask *a lot* of questions. Sorry if it drives you bonkers, but that's just me baby. I like to learn and always want to know more - call me nosey, hard to deny. Thus, Table Topics give me an excuse to ask rarely relevant, always interesting, absurd and totally irrelevant out-of-the-blue questions with merit. I hate to admit I forget who first told me about this phenomenal little crystal cube but I thank them from the furthest corner of my heart.

These fun conversation starters were a catalyst for MR and I after we met and started chatting on the phone long distance. We'd been playing 20 questions but after a few weeks, you begin to run dry on things to ask on the fly. There was so much to get to know about each other but the cards sparked great conversations, made us laugh and definitely took away any nervousness or tension. Cute, huh? ;) Some questions dive pretty deep while others are shallow as a parking lot puddle and just make you laugh. I'd highly recommend them for long distance phone calls, road trips or ice breaker activities. It's neat to hear what you can learn about people you already know fairly well. I even used them for the role of Table Topics Master at our Toastmasters meeting at work. 

Example questions from my set, the Dinner Party Edition:

If it were necessary to add two countries to the U.S. which would you pick?

Would you rather your home had a pool, a tennis court or a rose garden?

What's the best way to deal with stress?

Are you old school or new school?

Where is change needed in your life?

If you could only take one cd for a cross country road trip which would you choose?

I bought my box - the adorable brown and Tiffany-blue damask image below - at Poeme, the darling stationery store on Hyde Park Square for ~$25. Visit http://www.tabletopics.com/ to see sample questions or order your own! I'd love to collect some of the other versions; there's a wide range of topics from kids to adults, family oriented to naughtiness. They also have an iPhone app now for $2.99 - might be perfect for this weekend's road trip with some of my best girlfriends from college!


No comments:

Post a Comment