Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Tuesday, June 21, 2011

René of the Day // 6.21.11 // Special Gift

I've done a bit of spiritual seeking in the past year. It began with the Freedom series at Crossroads last spring. It was a heart-changing experience and a really wonderful time to re-connect with old friends and learn more about myself. That level of introspection can work wonders... I truly think it was a contributing factor to beginning my relationship with MR - we met just weeks after the sessions wrapped... and I had been stubborn on staying single for almost 3 years until then. 

I digress... I've learned a lot about God and my relationship with him in the past year. My mom and aunt Christine (Kiki) have listened as I've shared what I've learned and they also know that I am an absolute bookworm and holidays never pass without a book wrapped in pretty paper. Last Christmas, I had one last gift to open - a big orange book titled "The Handy Religion Answer Book." It was a very thoughtful and exciting gift - and per family tradition, I cracked the front cover to read the hand-written note that is always scribed into gifted books... And tears started to well in my eyes. The note was written in my deceased grandmother's perfect script. I was astonished and confused... She died in August 2007. But I remembered, we have two floor-to-ceiling book shelves filled with her books... old illustration books of Cincinnati, books on architecture, art and cooking (we have such similar interests!) My mom and Kiki had come across this book and knew I would love it.... It was an incredibly special gift.

I've been reading through it the past few days and was reminded of that story. MR is a loyal Catholic young man and is one of few I know my age who attends regularly and is a parishioner, even though he's grown up and moved away from home. I find that very admirable. My other grandmother, with whom I was very close, was Catholic and I always wanted to learn more to be like her. I am a heathen though - lol - I have never been baptised. So I'm learning more about Catholicism as I consider going through RCIA... I have a few good girlfriends who have done it and are doing it now so I am blessed to have them to consult for information as I explore. I'm looking forward to seeing where the Lord and my heart take me... and I'm sure grandma Dolores would be absolutely pleased. (See if you can read the note below.)





No comments:

Post a Comment