Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Thursday, July 14, 2011

René of the Day // 7.13.11 // Ky @ Camp!

Throwing deuces, just like Aunt Né!
One of my absolute things about my life is being an aunt to my 7-year old niece, Kylie. She goes in waves, as many children do, of when she wants to be my buddy and when she just can't be bothered with "Aunt Né"... But I always try to have fun with her, whether's it's an Aunt Né Day to the Children's Museum or a day on Oakley Square to King Arthur's Court toy store and Blue Manatee book store topped off with ice cream at Aglamesis' Brother's. It's been neat watching her grow since she was born my senior year of high school... She honestly is a great kid - you can take her to a fine dining restaurant and she loves to get dressed and behaves quite properly but she has no problem throwing down in the mud and riding her mini-quad and fishing at her daddy's families farm. I can't wait for her to go to college and she what she blossoms into some day. 

Right now she's at her second week at Camp Ernst. The 365-acre camp is in Burlington, KY, about a half hour southwest of Cincinnati. My stepdad, "Grandpa Chip" was a counselor there for years, as his family was always highly involved with the YMCA. Last year she went for one resident week and had a ball - this year they decided she could go for two weeks, spread out with a few back home at day camp in between. It's Harry Potter week so the child is thrilled - although I believe she's just seen the movies.

Camp Ernst does a great job with posting to social media, providing little tidbits of information to parents back home. I love following their Twitter feed and seeing what kind of wildness the munchkins are getting into. They also have a website where they post photos of each bunk through the week for families to view. My mom sends the link every few days and it makes me so excited to see how much fun she is having... If you know any college kids looking for summer work, being a counselor there looks like a blast - it's not quite as rugged as Camp Laurel in the woods of Connecticut where Andi and I spent a summer in college! Chip says the food has always been really good and they do every classic camp activity you can imagine - the lake with the banana, rock wall, zipline, horses, archery... I hope this becomes a summer tradition for her through junior high. She'll make some pretty spectacular memories - and maybe she can become a counselor-in-training after that!

To learn more about this place that my family loves, click here.

Here are a few photos from Ky's camp adventures:

Purple shirt - how does she look so pretty after 3 days of living outside???


Nice shades, kiddo (Front row, far left)




No comments:

Post a Comment