Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Friday, July 8, 2011

René of the Day // 7.8.11 // Yoga in Ault Park

I had my mind set on spinning at LA Fitness yesterday at 6:45. I'm spending the weekend on our jetskiis with my parents and MR - who I haven't seen in almost 3 weeks - and I have 2 canoeing trips next week, so I need to be working it out... fo sho.

But then I remembered that Thursdays with sunny weather means Yoga in Ault Park! My friend Emily and her brother Clint introduced me to this phenomenon last summer when she was home from Portland. Taught by Leah Gates, a great instructor who teaches at Revolution Fitness in Oakley, the class is held with a suggested donation of $10 but any donation is greatly appreciated.

Live music is played as Leah walks around the group and directs positions - don't be intimidated if you're a new yogi. She does a wonderful job of assisting and helps press you further into poses in the most gentle way. If you're not familiar with language, no worries - take it slow and look around for guidance. One of the best things about yoga is that regardless of the studio or class you attend, people are at varying levels so it's not a competition and you can focus on your own practice and breathing.

Sometimes the class is held under the wood trellis that overlooks Otto M. Armleder Park and sometimes it's under the stone pavilion at the peak of the park - this is amazing when the sun sets. It's always such a beautiful and relaxing way to end the day... It's hard for me to give excuses not to go (I do this in regards to the gym all the time!) because Ault Park is on my street and it's one of my favorite places in the city.

If you'd like to try it, it's every Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at Ault Park in Hyde Park at the end of Observatory Ave. Bring a mat (they do have a few extras), a bottle of water and some cash for a donation. Search "Yoga at Ault Park with Live Music!" on Facebook for more information.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment