Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Monday, July 18, 2011

René of the Day // 7.15.11 // I Heart TJ's

I worry that too many people don't understand the concept or establishment that is Trader Joe's. My mom was one of these people - she thought it was an upscale grocer like Whole Foods or The Fresh Market that over-charged for things like local produce and other items that can usually be found much cheaper at other stores... but my friends, that is NOT the case! I hate shopping but I have an odd love of grocery shopping.

TJ's, as we like to call it, is a mecca of fresh, unique and inexpensive savories that consumes my tummy and heart each week. At least once a week I pop in to grab lunch with the gals from work and I've found that I can check off my grocery list quiet cheaply there. Their frozen food section is mind-blowing - curry paneer rolls, pad Thai, loads of Ethnic foods and also meats, fish and special desserts and appetizers suitable for cocktail parties - things you'd order in a restaurant but never find in, say, Kroger's freezer.

One of my new favorites is the guacamole hummus (Can you imagine? Two amazing things in one, less than $3 and only 50/cals per serving). Their massive wine and beer selection has an unheard of number of decent bottles under $10 - the classic "two buck Chuck" is here - and craft beers at unbeatable prices. The only thing I would not recommend is their sushi - it tends to be a bit gluey and icky - but I think that's fair to say for most grocery store sushi. And their flowers! Gorgeous bouquets  starting at $4 - seriously. No man has an excuse now! Their weekly Fearless Flyer that comes in the mail always has great recipes, hilarious descriptions of items in season and groceries lists to easily grab all the goodies.

I just love that I can fulfill my grocery list with gourmet items and staples with neat, unique items for less than expected. And it's fun to shop there - the employee's ring bells at the check out, anyone will stop to help you find things and the clever, hand-written signs for every product give it a lovely kitschy feel - very west coast. So I had to share... I love this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment