Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Thursday, July 28, 2011

René of the Day // 7.29.11 // Featured Friend: Andi

So how I met my British bestie... Once upon a time, I was a 13-year-old student ambassador with People to People and spent 3 weeks traveling through England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. This trip around the UK was many things - my first out-of-country adventure, the longest I've ever been away from home and a time when I met two friends who are still very near and dear to my heart.

We learned of our assigned homestay families in Ireland and England a few weeks before the trip. Mind you, this was 1999... we still paid-per-minute for AOL usage, dialed up and hoped the crackling sound would connect to a ::ding:: and "You've Got Mail!" and not everyone had it yet. The Bond Family and their daughter Andrea sent me an email through their friend Craig who had email and we chatted a few times before my arrival.

Thirteen years later, I am honored (ahem, honoured) to serve as her Chief Bridesmaid (as the Brits call the Maid of Honor) on August 1. It's always funny because I'm so girley and she's more of a tomboy - I chatter without coming up for air and she's a bit quiet - we balance each other well. Hell, she convinced me to spend a summer in the woods of Connecticut during college! It makes me feel terrible to think that I'm only now returning, but it is quite expensive to travel from this side of the pond to that, as compared to the other way around. Absolutely thrilled to meet her fiancé Alan - my parents met him in Barcelona with the entire Bond family last year and he seems like a fantastic "lad." I am also thrilled that she's arranged for one of my good friends from Scotland to come spend a day and night with us! It's going to be an unforgettable trip with 50 bottles of wine awaiting consumption... Cannot wait for a proper English breakfast and Sunday roast! There will a few posts coming from the wedding and our adventures over the next 10 days.

It's mind-blowing how now we can easily chat every day via Facebook, Twitter or text via the What's App on our iPhones. Oh how that times have changed - for this I'm ever so grateful.

Ta-ta for now!

My British sibs - Andi & her brother Stevie

No comments:

Post a Comment