Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Tuesday, July 26, 2011

René of the Day // 7.24.11 // Bunny

Tonight MR and I were playing Tabletopics and one of the questions was "What was your favorite book as a child?" His were Jolly Molly - a Jimmy Buffet kid's book of course - and Catcher in the Rye - which I honestly just read last year after J.D. Salinger died - but I disgress.

My answer was Stuart Little and The Velveteen Rabbit - which he hadn't heard of! And it made me realize I'd never told him about my blanket or bunny.... As a little kid (well, I've always been little) I had a brown and cream striped blanket that had originally been made for my sister when she was born. But at some point, it became mine. And it was my third arm. I waddled around with it and rubbed it on my nose to soothe me to sleep as I sucked my ring and middle fingers on my right hand - yeah, this post may be TMI. But I was cute and I know my mom has numerous photos of this....

When I was 6 years old, my mom wanted me to say goodbye to the blankie and move on to something more grown up. My grandma had made me a peach pillow but I wasn't going to carry that around - the pretty white lace was scratchy on my nose! Around Easter time we negotiated on a white Puffalump bunny... The blanket was held hostage in my mom's closet until one day she threw it away and never told me - I'd peek every now and again to make sure it was in safe keeping and one day it was gone - I know she regrets it to this day. RIP in Rumpke, Blankster.

But the bunny became my buddy... and I had to dig it out of my closet, hidden in a blue bag from Tiffany's, after sharing that story with MR. This stuffed animal was cleared well-loved... The name is appropriate - he used to be puffy and now he's lumpy. It has some discoloration from falling behind the bed at my apartment from a few years and begin pressed against the heater and water damage from the AC... So here's a photo of the bunny... and what he once looked like.



No comments:

Post a Comment