Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Tuesday, July 5, 2011

René of the Day // 7.4.11 // BOOM!

Happy Independence Day! Happy 4th! Happy Birthday, America! You look damn good for 235 years old.

Every year my family celebrates this special day along with my cousin Elise's birthday and by shooting off the old family cannon that was made in 1911 by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. Around the turn of the century, cast iron cannons such as this were used as signal cannons for the start of boat races and yachting. By pulling the yellow string in the back, it hits the primer cap of the 10-gauge blanks filled with blank gun powder and makes a spark that ignites and it goes BOOM! As kids, we would stuff our ears with cotton balls or plug our fingers in them, then run into the grass to stomp out the smoke...



This year after the party, we went to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Pop's Red, White and Boom in really good seats at Riverbend. We listened to classic patriotic tunes with features of opera and a military band and watched great fireworks - the grand finale was the best I'd ever seen - loads of blue, then red & white!

Elise's chocolate ganache birthday cake with berries & white chocolate...
and we had red velvet cake ice cream, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment