Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Saturday, July 2, 2011

René of the Day // 6.30.11 // Dancing Wasabi 2: Hyde Park

Could it be? Great sushi in walking distance of my place - for half price? Reason #213 to live in Hyde Park. It's incredible how when I worked at Beluga, the uber-trendy sushi pan-Asian restaurant off the square, they would never succumb to half price deals. But as the economy slid and their former sushi chef Charlie opened Dancing Wasabi on Mt. Lookout Square, it became apparent that they'd have to sack it up and do half price, at least once a week. I think Cincinnati loves that almost ever sushi spot in this area now offers half price to stay competitive - people wait over an hour on the sidewalk for their maki in Mt. Lookout. Charlie made a brilliant business decision. So brilliant that Beluga closed it's doors and Dancing Wasabi recently opened their second location there - you know you're going gangbusters when you can open a second location literally less than 2 miles away and still fill the house in both restaurants.

Of course, the former Beluga space is much bigger and still has a lot of the pricey decor. I do think they've cheapened it up a bit - massive TV over the bar, huge plants lining the stairs as you walk in and they've replaced the dj booth in the corner with a round white wood table. But this is what the people want - it's fun, affordable and decent food. They've expanded their menu now that they have a larger nicer kitchen but I think I'll always stick to the sushi. I think I've tried all 20+ rolls at this point and there's never been one that I wouldn't try again. The service was fantastic - every employee we passed greeted us warmly and our server was attentive without being annoying. To be honest, I doubt I'll go back to the Mt. Lookout location - it has a tinge of a funky smell and I can walk to the new one. Arigato, Charlie!

No comments:

Post a Comment