Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Saturday, July 23, 2011

René of the Day // 7.20.11 // Small Spaces

I love my small space. I do - how else could I spend 5 years in a studio apartment and add a 15-pound Westie and host a big burly boy a few weekends every month? It's cute, cozy, quaint - it's me. Today I saw this helpful article on Twitter from House Beautiful for decorating ideas for small spaces: "11 Essential Organizing Tips for Small Spaces."

I'm an organiz-aholic. It's one of my favorite stress busters and even when I was a child, I'd sit in my mom's grocery chart and organize the items into categories - box, cans, produce, etc. I thought I'd share some of my favorite notes from the article since small spaces must be neat spaces or they become nasty places. Just sayin'.

Organize furniture into mini rooms - that I have! The back of the couch separates the dining table and kitchen from the living room/bedroom area of my studio - which is in tandem with idea #3, to float furniture in the middle of the room. It really does break it up and makes it feel larger - and serves as an additional entertaining area, as idea #10 suggests.

I would LOVE to have floor-to-ceiling bookcases like they mention in idea #5... my goal is to have a "library" when I have a house and if I were re-designing the studio, I'd put in a wall of them. I could certainly fill them with my crazy collection of books! And my furniture does match the wall color - my tufted headboard is a very similar shade to open up the sandy Ralph Lauren painted walls.

It's incredible how personal and lovely a small space can be made if thought through... hope sharing this article is helpful to other small-space dwellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment