Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Thursday, September 1, 2011

René of the Day // 8.19.11 // Correspondence

Handwritten correspondence is a lost art. How often do we find anything in our mailboxes but bills and junk? It brightens your day to find a card or a note from family or a friend who took the time to think about you and make you feel special. I find it to be such a privilege to do that for others - I take every opportunity I can to write to the people in my life to know that I appreciate them. After every weekend MR and I spend together, I send a thank you card - I may have mentioned it in another blog post - but at this point, they're practically expected! :) All of my friends in other cities know - I send postcards to Portland and letters to Scotland. Even sending a birthday card instead of just a Facebook wall post can be a huge surprise.

I may be the only single (unmarried) 26-year old girl who has sent over 30 Christmas cards each year since college. My address book is well worn and the attendants at the Hyde Park post office know me well. Shopping for stationery is more fun for me than clothes - I love the quality and clean designs of Cranes and the cheeky and nostalgic cards by Unusual Occasions. And my aunt Kiki always creates the most gorgeous little box sets of stationery for me. When possible, I try not to send the same card style to the same person twice... I may be trying too hard but I find such joy in writing to people. I think we can all find something to be thankful for - someone to send a little note to spark a little smile. Every thoughtful action, gift, meeting, interview or event deserves handwritten correspondence to recognize their generosity. To be honest, the sender can be just as impacted by the act as the receiver. Send me your address - I promise to keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment