Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Saturday, September 17, 2011

René of the Day // 9.12.11 // UC vs. UT

The Cincinnati Bearcats played the Tennessee Volunteers - the ultimate line up - MR's and my alma mater playing a packed house at Neyland. He sold his season ticket seats and bought front row seats for us and Vale and Maura - hell of a good time! UC scored firs and I was hopeful - but let's be honest - Big East teams can't hold a candle to SEC football. Nothing like Saturday in the south.

MR made me wake up at 6:30am on a Saturday, bless it. He dressed his in respect orange and I in black and red. We were tailgating in Knoxville by 10:30am. Had a great group of friends from Cincinnati and UT with good food and cold Yuengling. Tailgating there is like a hoiday compared to tailgating in Clifton. In Knoxville, every single park and parking lot is bumper to bumper with trucks loaded with beer, food and cornhole sets with orange flags flying. People pay $20 to park in a car wash spot and restaurants sell their parking spaces - brilliant. Lori and Andy joined us and I'm glad they got to experience it with us. MR is totally in his element and loves showing people around campus. He's been obsessed with UT since his Uncle Jim (UJ) brought him to a game when he was 10. Cut him open, orange will ooze :)

At half time, Maura and I had a fabulous time people-watching... all of the sorority gals had on orange dresses, every style you can imagine, totally adorable, with shit kickers and a button that said "KD loves Vols" or "KKG loves Vols." The culture is so different - I'd love to wear a dress to the games, but I'd be scoffed at in Cincinnati. I really hope my kids go to an SEC school so they can experience football season in the south. Fireworks and "Rocky Top" after every touchdown - it's hard not to be passionate with all of the pomp and circumstance. The Vols ended up taking the lead and holding it through the end. After the game we tailgated more - of course - with MR's cousin Drew from Nashville. Since you can't drink in SEC stadiums, we neded to get our buzz back and watched the end of the South Carolina-Georgia game, displayed on a flat screen in the back of an SUV. Then MR guided Lori, Andy and I through campus, telling tales of college and Knoxville. We walked all the way back to their hotel by the World's Fair park, which I'd love to go back to - just beautiful. Then we walked through Market Square which is a really cool little strip with shops and restaurants with cobble stone park in between. Had delicious pulled pork nachos and sat outside at this little pub with a great band and cool murals of Where the Wilds Things Are in the bathroom. Ran into quite a few people from Cincinnati in the Square, too. 

I was absolutely exhausted but cranked out a second wind and went back to the strip and hit a few bars and met up with old college friends, drank beer and danced like fools. By the time we took a cab back to our hotel, Maura and Vale were passed out. (Vale said he'd like for me to follow him around and blog about his life, so here's his debut!) It was one hell of a long and fun day... I hope we can still do this when we're 40!
Tailgating - house divided! 
Neyland Stadium is insane! View from front row seats.

Smokey!
Get it. Vale!


No comments:

Post a Comment