Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Thursday, September 22, 2011

René of the Day // 9.22.11 // Open up your heart and let the sunshine in

How blessed is our generation to be able to capture images, ideas and memories in digital format to have forever? With the Interwebs as our database, we can share and save, practically without limits.

"Open up your heart and let the sunshine in" is a song that my grandmother and her two sisters recorded in Cincinnati in 1954 as the Nunn Sisters (short for their surname, Nunneker.) They didn't write this song but they perform as the vocalists. I will admit, it sounds very cute, almost like the Chippets from Alvin and the Chipmunks! It's not like their other songs that sound much more like the music of the times, more mature, pretty voices. They made a number of records, during the same time as Rosemary Clooney was recording in Cincinnati. It's mindblowing to me to hear them on YouTube 57 years later - they would be absolutely thrilled! I'm so happy to have this to listen to, archived online - the last time I heard one of their songs was when it was played at my grandma's funeral four years ago. I'm not sure who this person is that posted it on YouTube for his mother but it is quite sweet of him. It's so special, I have to share it here. Enjoy.


Original 45 for the song recording.


No comments:

Post a Comment