Constantly fascinated by the world around me. I've got the dreamer's disease... and I believe that a truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

I spend most of my time reading, writing, cooking & planning my life on Post-It notes. Music, wine, food, art & travel are my favorite fuel; spending time well wasted.
I began writing this blog because I think that every day we have something to be celebrated, shared, something that sparks creativity, inspiration & ideation.
Although I'm quite optimistic, I'm more judgmental than I'd like to admit. Here's to overturning assumptions.


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

René of the Day // 9.6.11 // Otto Armleder Park

One of our favorite places in Cincinnati is Otto Armleder Park. When Fin finished all of his puppy shots we used to go to the dog park there - it was fun but I didn't love it. You have to deal with yappy dogs, humpers, biters, toy-snatchers and weirdos who have one-on-one conversations with their pooches - not my cup of tea - or yard of shit. Just sayin'. But there is a beautiful 2-mile nature trail at the park. If it's a quiet time of day, I can let him off his leash and he roams on his own unless I call him - and he stops and cocks his head or runs right back to me - good boy! It's very therapeutic and quiet and a great workout. He's a really good runner but a lot of times I bring my iPhone and listen to This American Life podcasts. It's our little happy place... one path takes you to a little overlook and bench by the river. I'd love to rollerblade there - the pavement is smooth but I'll have to investigate... a friend recently told me she has taken it up and it may make you laugh since it was such the awesome thing to do when we were younger, but it's fun and great for your buns! It would be the perfect place to train for a 5k (yes, I need to get back to that).

There are pretty little bird sanctuary areas and it's amazing how the plants and wildflowers change every few months... from high grasses to beautiful wildflowers, it's always different. Earlier this year the entire park - dog park, soccer fields, playgrounds, everything - was flooded for weeks. See photo below taken from the overlook at Ault Park - one of our other favorite places.

But the Otto trail is my favorite place to clear my mind, get away and really enjoy Findlay's company and I love how he sacks out so hard for the next few hours when we return home. Truly a cleansing opportunity for us both.
Mr. Fin on the trail
View of Otto Armleder from Ault Park after the flood

No comments:

Post a Comment